Introduction to Cybersecurity 2.1 Chapter 2 Quiz Answers
1. Which two characteristics describe a worm? (Choose two.)
hides in a dormant state until needed by an attacker
executes when software is run on a computer
travels to new computers without any intervention or knowledge of the user*
infects computers by attaching to software code
2. In what way are zombies used in security attacks?
They are maliciously formed code segments used to replace legitimate applications.
They probe a group of machines for open ports to learn which services are running.
They target specific individuals to gain corporate or personal information.
They are infected machines that carry out a DDoS attack.*
3. Which tool is used to provide a list of open ports on network devices?
4. Which type of attack allows an attacker to use a brute force approach?
denial of service
5. What is the primary goal of a DoS attack?
to facilitate access to external networks
to prevent the target server from being able to handle additional requests*
to obtain all addresses in the address book within the server
to scan the data on the target server
6. What is the purpose of a rootkit?
to replicate itself independently of any other programs
to gain privileged access to a device while concealing itself*
to deliver advertisements without user consent
to masquerade as a legitimate program
7. Which example illustrates how malware might be concealed?
A hacker uses techniques to improve the ranking of a website so that users are redirected to a malicious site.
An attack is launched against the public website of an online retailer with the objective of blocking its response to visitors.
A botnet of zombies carry personal information back to the hacker.
An email is sent to the employees of an organization with an attachment that looks like an antivirus update, but the attachment actually consists of spyware.*
8. What is the most common goal of search engine optimization (SEO) poisoning?
to trick someone into installing malware or divulging personal information
to build a botnet of zombies
to overwhelm a network device with maliciously formed packets
to increase web traffic to malicious sites*